Our goal is to help make Boston a healthier and more equitable city. We bring our mission to life with a strong commitment to make decisions easier and lives better. By leveraging our core competencies and strategic community investments, we partner with organizations that address disparities in health and financial outcomes in particular for BIPOC communities. To achieve this goal, we focus on two impact areas: healthy, active living and financial well-being.
Healthy, active living: We believe healthy living is essential to a long and happy life. With a focus on prevention, we support innovative health and wellness initiatives that inspire people to be physically active and eat healthy, well-balanced diets.
Financial well-being: Feeling in control of your financial future is an important part of overall well-being. We support sustainable initiatives that empower people to gain the knowledge, skills and experience they need to achieve long-term economic success.
In addition to alignment with the focus areas, John Hancock evaluates the partner’s approach to problem-solving, ability to demonstrate sustained impact, and partnership opportunities.
• Demonstrates an understanding of root cause of societal issues
• Is a trusted connection to the community
• Involves community and other stakeholders in problem solving
• Reports on measurable outcomes in alignment with our impact areas
• Demonstrates behavior change among individuals or families served or systems change in community
• Able to engage John Hancock beyond dollars (e.g. employee engagement/volunteering, thought leadership)
Prospective nonprofit partners must meet the following criteria to be considered for support:
• Organization is a registered 501(c)(3)
• Programs benefit the Boston community
• Donations do NOT benefit an individual or private entity
• Organization is NOT a religious or political organization, unless operating with a mission of social welfare under a separate 501(c)(3)
• Organization has policies in place that prohibits discrimination based on race, color, gender (including pregnancy), gender identity, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran, or marital status.
• Mission is aligned with John Hancock’s mission and strategic focus areas
To limit paperwork, we have an invitation-only application process, but will accept Letters of Interest through email@example.com.
Built on the inspirational values and legacy of its namesake, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., John Hancock’s MLK Scholars program addresses a critical need in Boston - summer jobs for city youth. Each summer, we sponsor the employment of over 600 Boston teens at nearly 60 local non-profit organizations—the largest summer jobs program of its kind in United States. To elevate the work experience, John Hancock organizes a series of Leadership Forums, and provides access to an online financial literacy course.
This empowering program turns scholars into leaders in the office, the classroom and the greater community.
We are accepting applications from interested non-profit partners for Summer 2021, until 5:00pm, January 29, 2021. Selected partners will be notified in mid-February.
2021 MLK Partners
Artists For Humanity Inc
Bikes Not Bombs, Inc.
Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center
Boston Debate League
Boston Partners in Education
Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras Inc
Boys and Girls Club - Dorchester
Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston – Mattapan Teen Center
Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston – Yawkey Club of Roxbury
Calculus Project Inc
Camp Harbor View Foundation
Catholic Charities - St. Peters Teen Center
Center for Community Health Education, Research & Service
The Center For Teen Empowerment Inc
Courageous Sailing Center for Youth Inc
Crossroads for Kids
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Foundation For Boston Centers For Youth & Families Inc
Freedom House Inc
Harlem Lacrosse and Leadership Corporation
Hawthorne Youth and Community Center
Hyde Square Task Force
Inquilinos Boricuas En Accion
Leap Self-Defense Inc
Level Ground Mixed Martial Arts Inc
Madison Park Development Corporation
Massachusetts Coalition For Occupational Safety & Health Inc
Mattapan Food & Fitness Coalition
Maverick Landing Community Services (MLCS)